The best historical option is Oliver E. Allen’s Tribeca: A Pictorial History ($50),which is sold at Working Class Emporium on Duane. The image at top is from the book; it’s of the construction of the subway line up Varick, between Franklin and N. Moore. As you may know, Allen is the history columnist at the Tribeca Trib. His previous Tribeca book, Tales of Old Tribeca, is also good (used copies run $38–$190 on Amazon).
For something contemporary, there’s photographer Donna Ferrato’s sumptuous Ten Years in Tribeca, which includes the Liquor Store image at left (one of my very favorites). The book includes photos taken around the neighborhood in the decade after 9/11, but they’re not really about the dreadful event so much as Tribeca itself. You can buy it for $75 here.
I also like The Texture of Tribeca, a paperback book published in 1989 by the Committee for the Washington Market Historic District with text by Andrew Scott Dolkart and historical photos. Used copies are $60–$145 on Amazon.
Got a question? Email it to email@example.com.
Previous “Nosy Neighbor” posts:
• Why are those shuttles on Greenwich?
• What’s coming to 15 Canal Street?
• Who enforces sidewalk-café regulations?
• What’s going on at 27 Desbrosses?
• What happened to the Lilac?
• When will those trailers on West Street go away?
• Do you know anything about 20-24 Varick?
• What’s happening to my parking lot?
• Is Pier 26 being worked on again?
• What’s up with Jin Market?
• What are those black pellets on Pier 25?
• What do the characters on 47 Vestry mean?
• When is T.J. Maxx opening?
• Where is the Special Forces monument going?
• Who’s moving into 151 Hudson?
• What’s going on at 172 Duane?
• Where is Compose’s pastry chef cooking now?
• What’s up with those Verizon carts?
• Where was the original Blues Bar?
• Who are the guys in the geeky pants?
• Why are the windows above Ponte’s boarded up?
• Can we walk on the West Street medians?
• What’s going on in 157 Hudson?
• What’s the new painting at 153 Hudson?
• What’s up with 55 Warren/55 Murray?
• What is this P.C. Richard & Son Theater I keep hearing about?
• What’s the story behind the lights at 289 Church?
• What’s the Dream House at 275 Church?
• How come every every film and TV shoot seems to have a trailer with doors marked “Lucy” and “Desi”?