Hi there—love, love, love your newsletter and if anyone knows the lowdown, you would! What’s that orange awning on southwest corner of Vesey and North End Ave.? To the right of the Conrad’s main entrance, there appears to be a restaurant of some kind getting ready to open but I can’t find work permits to give me a clue. —D.
The awnings don’t seem to be of any particular significance since they include Blue Smoke. But I sense your real question is whether we know what’s going on in the empty storefronts. I wandered over and tried chatting up workers at nearby businesses. One said that a gallery is coming, as well as a jewelry store. (I was also told it was supposed to be a Spanish restaurant, but that fell through. Could that have been the Mercat that was in the works?) The jewelry store will have to remain unconfirmed, but the gallery is indeed happening, in the southwestern corner. It’s not a gallery so much as an exhibition space, however, with the Lower Manhattan Cultural Council at the helm. I know this because the door was open and I walked in and introduced myself. The first exhibit opens on Friday (“probably Friday evening”), and that the space—I didn’t get the name, and the LMCC has yet to return my call—will be on an exhibit-to-exhibit basis, presumably until Goldman finds a long-term tenant.
That still leaves at least one big storefront along Vesey, and possibly more—it can be hard to tell. As always, if you know anything, I want to know it, too.
Got a question? Email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Previous Nosy Neighbor posts:
• What’s happening at 73 Warren?
• Can you recommend any Tribeca picture books?
• Why are those shuttles on Greenwich?
• What’s coming to 15 Canal Street?
• Who enforces sidewalk-café regulations?
• What’s going on at 27 Desbrosses?
• What happened to the Lilac?
• When will those trailers on West Street go away?
• Do you know anything about 20-24 Varick?
• What’s happening to my parking lot?
• Is Pier 26 being worked on again?
• What’s up with Jin Market?
• What are those black pellets on Pier 25?
• What do the characters on 47 Vestry mean?
• When is T.J. Maxx opening?
• Where is the Special Forces monument going?
• Who’s moving into 151 Hudson?
• What’s going on at 172 Duane?
• Where is Compose’s pastry chef cooking now?
• What’s up with those Verizon carts?
• Where was the original Blues Bar?
• Who are the guys in the geeky pants?
• Why are the windows above Ponte’s boarded up?
• Can we walk on the West Street medians?
• What’s going on in 157 Hudson?
• What’s the new painting at 153 Hudson?
• What’s up with 55 Warren/55 Murray?
• What is this P.C. Richard & Son Theater I keep hearing about?
• What’s the story behind the lights at 289 Church?
• What’s the Dream House at 275 Church?
• How come every every film and TV shoot seems to have a trailer with doors marked “Lucy” and “Desi”?