Yeah, that’s me asking again. I walk by Esoteric all the time, and the name is Google-proof. So one day last week I walked in and asked what
the heck they do. “Entertainment systems,” was the answer, to which I nodded, then realized I still didn’t know what that meant. “For private jets.” Gotcha! The website (esoteric.aero) makes it all even clearer. They have a system called the SkyPad; you can read about it in the two screengrabs below. The “design & incubation” office opened on Walker in April, while the showroom is in Newport Beach, Calif. According to an email I received later, the Walker Street office “will also house interactive digital exhibits in the near future.”
Also in the email: “Company is owned by Sacha Dean Biyan (who you can Google).” Here’s Biyan’s bio, as listed on his website, sachabiyan.com: “Sacha Dean Biyan, M.Sc., is an international gypsy who speaks five languages and has lived in the US, Canada, Europe, South America and Asia. He holds a Master’s Degree in Aeronautical Engineering and worked for over 10 years as a consultant in the aerospace industry before diverting his attention to photography. During the past several years, he has traveled to the farthers reaches of the globe to capture the images for Earth Pilgrim [a project documenting indigenous people]. [...] He spends a large part of his time these days in remote parts of the Amazon jungle, living amongst numerous tribes and absorbing their wisdom.”
(Part of what attracted me to the office was its striking two-level design; the guy I spoke with said it was that way before Esoteric moved in, but I have no recollection of it.)
Got a question? Email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Previous Nosy Neighbor posts:
• What’s up with the building under renovation on Franklin?
• Is N. Moore getting cobblestoned?
• What are those orange awnings for?
• What’s happening at 73 Warren?
• Can you recommend any Tribeca picture books?
• Why are those shuttles on Greenwich?
• What’s coming to 15 Canal Street?
• Who enforces sidewalk-café regulations?
• What’s going on at 27 Desbrosses?
• What happened to the Lilac?
• When will those trailers on West Street go away?
• Do you know anything about 20-24 Varick?
• What’s happening to my parking lot?
• Is Pier 26 being worked on again?
• What’s up with Jin Market?
• What are those black pellets on Pier 25?
• What do the characters on 47 Vestry mean?
• When is T.J. Maxx opening?
• Where is the Special Forces monument going?
• Who’s moving into 151 Hudson?
• What’s going on at 172 Duane?
• Where is Compose’s pastry chef cooking now?
• What’s up with those Verizon carts?
• Where was the original Blues Bar?
• Who are the guys in the geeky pants?
• Why are the windows above Ponte’s boarded up?
• Can we walk on the West Street medians?
• What’s going on in 157 Hudson?
• What’s the new painting at 153 Hudson?
• What’s up with 55 Warren/55 Murray?
• What is this P.C. Richard & Son Theater I keep hearing about?
• What’s the story behind the lights at 289 Church?
• What’s the Dream House at 275 Church?
• How come every every film and TV shoot seems to have a trailer with doors marked “Lucy” and “Desi”?