We live on Hudson near Laight—right across from what used to be a park six or seven years ago (we stopped counting) and what has since been a construction site. We do not dispute the importance of such a project, but we do not understand why nobody is willing to give us a rough estimate of a return to normal. Nobody has ever answered our queries. Does the Tribeca Citizen have access to that information? —P.
First, I asked the New York City Department of Design and Construction for an updated timeline on the Hudson reconstruction project. Here’s what came in:
Phase 3 work on Hudson between N. Moore and Thomas: Crews beginning on the east side but the MPT [I don't know and I didn't ask] will be relocated to the west side prior to completion. Estimated duration = 1.5 years.
Hubert between Hudson and Greenwich: Euro cobble crosswalks should be complete this week. [This was last week.] Once the stones cure (3-5 weeks) normal traffic and parking regulations will resume.
Beach between Hudson and Greenwich: Cobblestone installation will begin at the end of this week: 3-5 weeks installation, 3-5 weeks to cure, and then normal traffic and parking regulations will resume on Beach.
N. Moore between Hudson and West: Utility upgrades and relocation precede trunk water main installation; duration anticipated 1.5 years.
Franklin between Hudson and Greenwich: Cobblestone installation scheduled for late summer.
But the response also said that the work at the southeast corner of Hudson and Laight is being managed by the New York City Department of Environmental Protection. Confused by the signage there—which mentions that the project is about “Clean and reliable water for New York City,” I asked whether it was at one point part of the DDC’s Hudson Street project. “The spot that DEP is working on is for the shaft. DDC was working near that location on the trunk water mains which will connect to the shaft to bring water from the new third water tunnel. But the shaft work is being done by DEP.” The trunk water main is the big one going down Hudson; the shaft is what brings the water up to residents, businesses, etc.
So I called the DEP. An official told me that the restoration work on most of the Hudson/Laight area will begin this fall, and that they’re hoping to be done by next summer. For some time in the foreseeable future, however, a small part will remain fenced off as an active work site while the trunk/shaft connections continue being made. As for what it will look like when it’s done, I assume that’s Port Authority land, and they haven’t generally been responsive, so I didn’t pursue the matter. It seems safe to assume that the streetscape will look like the one further down Hudson that was completed a year or so ago.
Got a question? Email it to email@example.com.
Previous Nosy Neighbor posts:
• What is Esoteric on Walker Street?
• What’s up with the building under renovation on Franklin?
• Is N. Moore getting cobblestoned?
• What are those orange awnings for?
• What’s happening at 73 Warren?
• Can you recommend any Tribeca picture books?
• Why are those shuttles on Greenwich?
• What’s coming to 15 Canal Street?
• Who enforces sidewalk-café regulations?
• What’s going on at 27 Desbrosses?
• What happened to the Lilac?
• When will those trailers on West Street go away?
• Do you know anything about 20-24 Varick?
• What’s happening to my parking lot?
• Is Pier 26 being worked on again?
• What’s up with Jin Market?
• What are those black pellets on Pier 25?
• What do the characters on 47 Vestry mean?
• When is T.J. Maxx opening?
• Where is the Special Forces monument going?
• Who’s moving into 151 Hudson?
• What’s going on at 172 Duane?
• Where is Compose’s pastry chef cooking now?
• What’s up with those Verizon carts?
• Where was the original Blues Bar?
• Who are the guys in the geeky pants?
• Why are the windows above Ponte’s boarded up?
• Can we walk on the West Street medians?
• What’s going on in 157 Hudson?
• What’s the new painting at 153 Hudson?
• What’s up with 55 Warren/55 Murray?
• What is this P.C. Richard & Son Theater I keep hearing about?
• What’s the story behind the lights at 289 Church?
• What’s the Dream House at 275 Church?
• How come every every film and TV shoot seems to have a trailer with doors marked “Lucy” and “Desi”?