Last June, the building at 375 Pearl was sold to Sabey Data Centers, which is turning it into a data center like 60 Hudson or 32 Sixth Ave.; the name of the facility is Intergate.Manhattan. (My fingers keep wanting to type “Integrate.”) A data center makes sense: The ugly outside is a virtue, because data centers tend to get hot so they don’t want/need light, and the out-of-the-way location is better than right in the middle of a thriving residential community. Plus, it’s right by the NYPD if security is an concern.
A February article in the New York Times said that “While Sabey plans to leave the facade alone, it is gutting the inside of the building.” So the work does seem surprising.
But a spokesperson for Sabey says that “What your photo shows is the temporary removal of cladding to facilitate the installation of this equipment.” In other words, it’s going to look like it always did.
I took the opportunity to ask if there are plans to get rid of the hideous Verizon sign on the east side.
“Regarding the Verizon sign, it’s a bit premature to talk about our plans,” was the response. Let’s hope that (a) the Verizon sign comes down; (b) if there ends up being signage, it has some dignity. Or maybe the Bat signal can get projected onto the façade when necessary….
Got a question? Email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Previous Nosy Neighbor posts:
• Will the construction at Hudson and Laight ever end?
• What is Esoteric on Walker Street?
• What’s up with the building under renovation on Franklin?
• Is N. Moore getting cobblestoned?
• What are those orange awnings for?
• What’s happening at 73 Warren?
• Can you recommend any Tribeca picture books?
• Why are those shuttles on Greenwich?
• What’s coming to 15 Canal Street?
• Who enforces sidewalk-café regulations?
• What’s going on at 27 Desbrosses?
• What happened to the Lilac?
• When will those trailers on West Street go away?
• Do you know anything about 20-24 Varick?
• What’s happening to my parking lot?
• Is Pier 26 being worked on again?
• What’s up with Jin Market?
• What are those black pellets on Pier 25?
• What do the characters on 47 Vestry mean?
• When is T.J. Maxx opening?
• Where is the Special Forces monument going?
• Who’s moving into 151 Hudson?
• What’s going on at 172 Duane?
• Where is Compose’s pastry chef cooking now?
• What’s up with those Verizon carts?
• Where was the original Blues Bar?
• Who are the guys in the geeky pants?
• Why are the windows above Ponte’s boarded up?
• Can we walk on the West Street medians?
• What’s going on in 157 Hudson?
• What’s the new painting at 153 Hudson?
• What’s up with 55 Warren/55 Murray?
• What is this P.C. Richard & Son Theater I keep hearing about?
• What’s the story behind the lights at 289 Church?
• What’s the Dream House at 275 Church?
• How come every every film and TV shoot seems to have a trailer with doors marked “Lucy” and “Desi”?