Terri Pitts and Ivli Salman, who met when their kids were in kindergarten together, decided to launch a mobile yoga studio, Yoga City Kids, when they realized how much their daughters looked forward to doing yoga. “We bring yoga to our clients,” explains Pitts. “They pick their day, time, place, and friends. They don’t have to follow a set schedule or travel anywhere. They can do it in their homes, the park, their building’s gym….” And now they’re about to bring yoga to the supermarket: Yoga City Kids is partnering with Whole Foods Tribeca’s new Wellness Club. The first event is on Saturday, Oct. 29, with Halloween mask making (8:30 a.m.), family yoga for ages 4 and up (9–10 a.m.), and brunch.
The TCQ&A rules: You can choose which of 45 questions you’d like to answer, but you have to answer questions one through four (and at least 12 total).
1. How long have you lived in the area? Where did you move from? Where are you originally from? [Terri] I’ve lived in the neighborhood for six years. We moved here from Astor Place. I grew up in Miami. [Ivli] I have lived in the neighborhood for eight years. We moved here from Westchester County. I grew up in New York City.
2. Married? Partnered? If so, what’s his/her name and occupation? [Terri] Married to John D. Pitts, Jr., V.P., Marketing, Random House’s Doubleday division. [Ivli] I am marred to Sam Salman and he heads a merchant bank focused on game-changing technologies and solutions.
3. Kids? Pets? [Terri] One beautiful girl, age 5 3/4 and one very handsome stepson age 23; one adorable but slightly manic Havanese puppy who joined our family seven weeks ago. [Ivli] We have two wonderful sons ages 18 and 21, and a delicious daughter who’ll soon be 6 years old.
4. Where do you live? [Both] Battery Park City.
6. My most-frequented restaurants: [Ivli] My family and I frequent Inatteso (love the authentic homemade lasagna), ROC (which is where my husband proposed to me seven years ago), Dylan Prime, and the Shake Shack.
8. Best sandwich: [Ivli] The hot pressed sandwich with fried green tomatoes and mozzarella at Inatteso Cafe.
11. I usually order in from Koko, and I always order the Vegetable Singapore Noodles. [Ivli]
12. I can’t resist popping into: [Ivli] Le Pain Quotidien for a wonderful latte and a stone-ground fruit oatmeal. (Yum!!!!)
13. The last non-essential item I bought: [Terri] A puppy!
14. When I walk into my apartment, the first thing I see that I bought in Tribeca is: [Terri] My daughter’s first bicycle, purchased from Gotham Bikes.
15. I’m so glad Whole Foods is in the neighborhood, because without it I’d still be schlepping to 14th Street. [Terri]
18. What’s the area’s best-kept secret? [Ivli] The Battery Place Market, where the variety of produce, imported fine foods and excellent catering make it special for many occasions. We’re regulars for both catering and binge visits!
35. My most memorable celebrity sighting: [Ivli] We were out to dinner with our relatives at Churrascaria Tribeca when much to our delight, Leonardo DiCaprio, Gisele Bündchen and their entourage came in and sat for dinner at the table beside us. The women at our table could not stop speaking about Leonardo, meanwhile, the men at our table were simply speechless, undoubtedly entranced by Gisele’s beauty.
37. The most romantic spot around: [Ivli] My husband and I find the Brandy Library to be romantic and sultry. We love unwinding there where you find a superior selection of spirits and wine. I should also mention that their cocktails are also sublime!
39. If I could change one thing about the neighborhood: [Terri] AT&T’s cellular reception!
45. If I couldn’t live here, I’d live in…. [Terri] New Orleans.