Dr. Nisar Quraishi dies from the coronavirus at 74

Dr. Nisar Quraishi, who practiced internal medicine in Tribeca starting in 1976 — first at Independence Plaza then at 303 Greenwich — and not only saw thousands of patients here, but those patients’ children as well, died on Saturday from the coronavirus. He was 74.

“He was a wonderful wonderful man — I am truly heartbroken,” said Jeff Tabak, whose real estate firm is on Reade. “We had so many layers. He was my doctor, we were on the condo board together, he was my client, and on top of that we were friends. This was a tough one.”

His practice, Tribeca Medical Center, was for decades in the space that is now Downtown Yogurt; he bought the office when the building was constructed in 1987 and only moved recently, in 2014, to 111 Broadway, in the offices run by NYU Langone, with which he was affiliated.

Dr. Quraishi lived in New Jersey with his wife and the couple raised their two sons there — one of whom, Abid, practiced with him for several years. “If you didn’t see the father, you saw the son,” said Jeff. He was still practicing and seeing patients as recently as three weeks ago when he contracted the virus.

He received his medical degree from the University of Dacca in Pakistan in 1969 and held a faculty appointment as Clinical Assistant Professor of Medicine at New York Medical College for over 15 years. He was most recently a clinical assistant professor of medicine at New York University School of Medicine. Dr. Quraishi was also appointed as a civil surgeon for the Department of Homeland Security, Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services.

“He was intelligent, but also level headed and always calm, kind and compassionate,” said Jeff, who last saw him in January. “When he came into my office, I got up from my desk and walked over to him and hugged him. I am not sure why. He was a bit surprised, but I am so glad I did.”

The family has requested that any donations be made to the Albaseerah International Institute, an Islamic educational organization in Plainfield, NJ.



  1. I met Dr Quraishi in the late 1980’s or early 1990’s and throughout his various moves i followed him and remained his patient. I think that is the best compliment i can pay him. I agree with everyone here in that he is the very epitome of what a doctor should be.
    He deserved much better than this.

  2. I became a patient in 1995 and stayed with him until I relocated 3 years ago. I also brought my family to him for their medical care. I am very sad to hear of his passing; he will be missed by many.

  3. I am still saddened by Dr Qurashi’s death. He was our family doctor for so many years. He was a kind, compassionate and caring man. 😢

  4. Hello Friends of Dr. Nisar Qurashi,

    Like many of you I’ve seen Dr. Qurashi shortly after he opened his practice. When he joined NYU Langone on Trinity Place I followed him. I will always remember his warmth and gentlemanly demeanor — always kind, caring and gentle.

    It’s been almost two years and I nearly gave up contacting his family but today I saw this article and I’m hoping to contact his son Judge Zahid Qurashi, or his brother Dr. Abid Qurashi. If anyone has an address of either could you please send it to me?

    Be well,
    Chris Lione

  5. I haven’t seen Dr Quraishi in some years but decided to call him to see if he takes my new insurance. I only stopped seeing him because I lost the good insurance I had when I worked up the block from him on Greenwich
    I was so saddened when I called him today to find out he passed away. I am so heart broken. This was such a gentle sweet and caring man. I’ve seen Dr Abid also but when I made my appointment and they asked if I wanted to see father or son I said father. We always talked about holistic approaches to medications. I am so so sorry to hear this. May he rest well with the ancestors.