Construction moving along at 14 White

Construction is moving along at 14 White, the scheduled six-story residential building on the wedge on the northwest corner with Sixth Avenue. For a while it seemed construction was stalled out, but no longer.

When plans were first revealed, Frank LePera of Parametric Development Group provided the renderings below; they might be out of date now, but they were what was approved by Landmarks. The firm is developing the site along with the architecture firm NAVA; work started in 2022 in what was supposed to be an 18-month build, but of course, stuff happens. It will be a six-story building with a partial seventh floor and will contain six or seven residential units and ground floor commercial.

The original plan was for an 85-foot high building with a higher square footage than the zoning (in the Tribeca East Historic District) would allow; the BSA would not give them the variance, despite the hardship of having to build around the subway below, hence the slightly shorter building in the final version.

The new design will feature metal alloy siding.

The lot has a special mention in the Tribeca East Historic District designation report, since it is the only property in the district with a Sixth Avenue address — #15.

“In 1928-1930 Sixth Avenue was extended southward causing the demolition of several five and six-story store and loft buildings near White Street and creating the triangular sites now used as parking lots that line the west side of the avenue from Franklin Street north to White Street. Sixth Avenue was subsequently renamed Avenue of the Americas in honor of the Organization of American States, though the street’s historic name is still commonly used.

In 1930 Sixth Avenue was extended southward to Franklin Street, cutting through Block 191 and necessitating the demolition of eight store and loft buildings on the north side of White Street near Church Street. A triangular lot was created at the northwest corner of the intersection of Sixth Avenue and White Street, encompassing parts of what originally were lots 7 and 8. In 1946 lot 8, which was vacant, was converted into the present parking lot.”


1 Comment

  1. Glad to see this, and I like the renderings. This lot was always a graffiti-vandalized eyesore. So this is quite an improvement.