The pastry chef was Micah Phillips, who had worked with Compose chef Nick Curtin at Noma in Copenhagen. I emailed Eamon Rockey, general manager of Compose—which will reopen in September as Atera—with Matt Lightner (recently of
Campagna Castagna in Portland, Ore.). Rockey had this to say: “Though Matt will be taking over both sweet and savory, Micah will still be on the team cooking under Matt’s guidance.” Before this question came in, I didn’t know who Compose’s pastry chef was, and when I poked around, I realized that my partner and I sat next to him when I ate at Compose. (He hadn’t started working there yet.) Also: Phillips evidently wears jeans a lot.
UPDATE 8/30: Compose/Atera’s PR firm confirmed that Phillips will indeed be moving on.
Recent “Nosy Neighbor” posts:
• What’s up with those Verizon carts?
• Who are the guys in the geeky pants?
• Why are the windows above Ponte’s boarded up?
• Can we walk on the West Street medians?
• What’s going on in 157 Hudson?
• What’s the new painting at 153 Hudson?
• What’s up with 55 Warren/55 Murray?
• What is this P.C. Richard & Son Theater I keep hearing about?
• What’s the story behind the lights at 289 Church?
• What’s the Dream House at 275 Church?