“We’re up at Pier 40 for the day for a movie shoot,” explains the Lilac Preservation Project‘s president and museum director, Mary Habstritt. “It’s an untitled movie by director James Gray, starring Joaquin Phoenix and Marion Cotillard. The Lilac is standing in for an Ellis Island Ferry and everyone is dressed in 1920s attire.” According to IMDB, it also stars Jeremy Renner. The synopsis: “An innocent immigrant woman is tricked into a life of burlesque and vaudeville until a dazzling magician tries to save her and reunite her with her sister who is being held in the confines of Ellis Island.” Gray directed Little Odessa, We Own the Night, and Two Lovers.
Beautiful day for it, that’s for sure. Go outside!
Related: Below is an image from Tony Larsen’s photo essay on the Lilac. For more, click here.
Got a question? Email it to email@example.com.
Previous “Nosy Neighbor” posts:
• When will those trailers on West Street go away?
• Do you know anything about 20-24 Varick?
• What’s happening to my parking lot?
• Is Pier 26 being worked on again?
• What’s up with Jin Market?
• What are those black pellets on Pier 25?
• What do the characters on 47 Vestry mean?
• When is T.J. Maxx opening?
• Where is the Special Forces monument going?
• Who’s moving into 151 Hudson?
• What’s going on at 172 Duane?
• Where is Compose’s pastry chef cooking now?
• What’s up with those Verizon carts?
• Where was the original Blues Bar?
• Who are the guys in the geeky pants?
• Why are the windows above Ponte’s boarded up?
• Can we walk on the West Street medians?
• What’s going on in 157 Hudson?
• What’s the new painting at 153 Hudson?
• What’s up with 55 Warren/55 Murray?
• What is this P.C. Richard & Son Theater I keep hearing about?
• What’s the story behind the lights at 289 Church?
• What’s the Dream House at 275 Church?
• How come every every film and TV shoot seems to have a trailer with doors marked “Lucy” and “Desi”?