Do you have any intel on the apartment building being renovated on Franklin between Hudson and Greenwich? South side of street, between Thalassa and defunct fire station. Is it going to be condos or rentals? —A.
Neither. That’s 177 Franklin (above), and last November, the Wall Street Journal reported that Bedrock Brands, an investor in Steven Alan, bought the building and that it’ll house Steven Alan’s corporate offices. I verified that that’s still the case, as well as that the ground floor will be (in the WSJ’s words) “for the relaunch of a once-famous American brand: Shinola. Bedrock has filed for trademark rights over the Shinola name for a multitude of products from shoe polish to cosmetics, handheld electronic devices, jewelry, leather goods, clothing, toys, and sporting equipment.” A rep from Bedrock said that Shinola will potentially relaunch in late fall or early spring.
As for 158 Franklin, where Steven Alan is currently based, the space will “turn into a retail store but we’ll still be involved,” emailed a Steven Alan rep. I read that to mean that the store would not be a Steven Alan one—the man/brand often partners with other companies (such as J. Crew)—but I couldn’t get it confirmed.
Note: There is a slight chance you’re referring to 175 Franklin, 177 Franklin’s neighbor to the east, but it doesn’t seem like much work is going on in there.
Got a question? Email it to email@example.com.
Previous Nosy Neighbor posts:
• Is N. Moore getting cobblestoned?
• What are those orange awnings for?
• What’s happening at 73 Warren?
• Can you recommend any Tribeca picture books?
• Why are those shuttles on Greenwich?
• What’s coming to 15 Canal Street?
• Who enforces sidewalk-café regulations?
• What’s going on at 27 Desbrosses?
• What happened to the Lilac?
• When will those trailers on West Street go away?
• Do you know anything about 20-24 Varick?
• What’s happening to my parking lot?
• Is Pier 26 being worked on again?
• What’s up with Jin Market?
• What are those black pellets on Pier 25?
• What do the characters on 47 Vestry mean?
• When is T.J. Maxx opening?
• Where is the Special Forces monument going?
• Who’s moving into 151 Hudson?
• What’s going on at 172 Duane?
• Where is Compose’s pastry chef cooking now?
• What’s up with those Verizon carts?
• Where was the original Blues Bar?
• Who are the guys in the geeky pants?
• Why are the windows above Ponte’s boarded up?
• Can we walk on the West Street medians?
• What’s going on in 157 Hudson?
• What’s the new painting at 153 Hudson?
• What’s up with 55 Warren/55 Murray?
• What is this P.C. Richard & Son Theater I keep hearing about?
• What’s the story behind the lights at 289 Church?
• What’s the Dream House at 275 Church?
• How come every every film and TV shoot seems to have a trailer with doors marked “Lucy” and “Desi”?