Why does the cobblestoning of Franklin Street require water sprinklers? There’s cloth netting laid over the part that’s already done, and in the overnight hours there are hoses running the length of the project that sprinkle water continuously. —Mike
“The street is sprinkled with water overnight in order to cure the mortar mixture,” said a rep for the city’s Department of Design and Construction, which is overseeing the work. “They do work during the day, putting down sand and fitting the cobblestones in, and then they wet it down with water overnight so it can achieve the maximum strength. The curing process take around four weeks.” Which is why you can’t drive on it even when it looks done.
P.S. In the photo, the street is wet because of rain.
Got a question? Email it to email@example.com.
Previous Nosy Neighbor posts:
• Do newspaper boxes need permits?
• Why does 161 Duane say “Whalebone”?
• What’s the story behind those Harrison townhouses?
• What are those white things at 137 Franklin?
• What’s that thing at W. Broadway and Leonard?
• What happens to old cobblestones?
• Are buses allowed to idle on Laight?
• What’s happening with the Verizon building?
• Will the construction at Hudson and Laight ever end?
• What is Esoteric on Walker Street?
• What’s up with the building under renovation on Franklin?
• Is N. Moore getting cobblestoned?
• What are those orange awnings for?
• What’s happening at 73 Warren?
• Can you recommend any Tribeca picture books?
• Why are those shuttles on Greenwich?
• What’s coming to 15 Canal Street?
• Who enforces sidewalk-café regulations?
• What’s going on at 27 Desbrosses?
• What happened to the Lilac?
• When will those trailers on West Street go away?
• Do you know anything about 20-24 Varick?
• What’s happening to my parking lot?
• Is Pier 26 being worked on again?
• What’s up with Jin Market?
• What are those black pellets on Pier 25?
• What do the characters on 47 Vestry mean?
• When is T.J. Maxx opening?
• Where is the Special Forces monument going?
• Who’s moving into 151 Hudson?
• What’s going on at 172 Duane?
• Where is Compose’s pastry chef cooking now?
• What’s up with those Verizon carts?
• Where was the original Blues Bar?
• Who are the guys in the geeky pants?
• Why are the windows above Ponte’s boarded up?
• Can we walk on the West Street medians?
• What’s going on in 157 Hudson?
• What’s the new painting at 153 Hudson?
• What’s up with 55 Warren/55 Murray?
• What is this P.C. Richard & Son Theater I keep hearing about?
• What’s the story behind the lights at 289 Church?
• What’s the Dream House at 275 Church?
• How come every every film and TV shoot seems to have a trailer with doors marked “Lucy” and “Desi”?