It is indeed a gallery called The Untitled Space. Photographer/artist Indira Cesarine bought the 45 Lispenard storefront in 2003, planning to convert it into a photo studio and gallery—but she was based in London and Paris, and even after the space was renovated into a usable state, she never quite got around to it.
Then, five years ago, she launched Untitled magazine in London. “It’s a fusion of art, fashion, film, music, and culture,” she says. “What makes our culture tick now.” The print edition, which comes out around two times a year, is sold in 30 countries; there’s an online edition, too.
In 2012, Cesarine moved back to New York City and made 45 Lispenard the magazine’s headquarters. The street had changed quite a bit since 2003. “I thought, why not open the space up? I went back to my original intention: Create a cultural hub for the magazine, an exhibition space”—they collaborate with galleries and curators and do their own shows—”and a place to raise funds for global causes.” The current show, “Eyes Open, Eyes Shut,” is actually of photographs by Cesarine that showed in Visionaire’s Paris gallery in 2010.
So if you spot a cutting-edge celebrity getting photographed nearby, you can probably attribute it to Cesarine and her company. The following artists have all been shot at Untitled or in the vicinity: Kimbra, Jack Antonoff (including images at Café Noir and the barber shop), Tove Lo, Elliphant (Cortlandt Alley), and Until the Ribbon Breaks (Holland Tunnel pedestrian bridge).
Got a question? Email it to email@example.com or call/text 917-209-6473.
Previous Nosy Neighbor posts:
• What’s getting built now at Canal and Varick?
• What’s That Concrete Thing at 443 Greenwich?
• What’s in the ground-level space at 11 Warren?
• What’s the Supermarket?
• What’s getting built on top of 20 Warren?
• What is Citigroup doing to its building?
• What’s happening at 172 Duane?
• What’s the restaurant opening at 9 Maiden Lane?
• Are these new trees dying?
• Is the Odeon lowering its bar?
• What’s that on top of the New Museum?
• What’s that new building next to 30 Park Place?
• Why are there strollers left overnight at Tribeca Pediatrics?
• Is this rooftop addition legal?
• Who’s painting those faces all over?
• What’s moving into 415 Broadway?
• When will 87 Leonard be done?
• What are those panels on the sanitation garage?
• How many fake restaurants are on Seamless?
• Is a 60-story hotel going up on W. Broadway?
• Why is 15 Warren painted that way?
• Where do Laughing Man’s profits go?
• Are dogs allowed at outdoor restaurant tables?
• When will FiOS come to Tribeca?
• What’s up with 60 Hudson?
• Will the W. Broadway construction ever end?
• What’s happening at 87 Leonard?
• What goes on at 444 Greenwich?
• Why are Goldman Sachs’s lights always on?
• What’s the story with the Batmobile?
• Any update on the Chambers construction?
• Who’s responsible for the snowflake lights?
• Is 93 Reade adding a floor?
• Is 28 N. Moore going residential?
• Why does cobblestoning require sprinklers?
• Do newspaper boxes need permits?
• Why does 161 Duane say “Whalebone”?
• What’s the story behind those Harrison townhouses?
• What are those white things at 137 Franklin?
• What’s that thing at W. Broadway and Leonard?
• What happens to old cobblestones?
• Are buses allowed to idle on Laight?
• What’s happening with the Verizon building?
• Is N. Moore getting cobblestoned?
• Can you recommend any Tribeca picture books?
• Why are those shuttles on Greenwich?
• Who enforces sidewalk-café regulations?
• What’s going on at 27 Desbrosses?
• What are those black pellets on Pier 25?
• What do the characters on 47 Vestry mean?
• Where is the Special Forces monument going?
• Who’s moving into 151 Hudson?
• What’s up with those Verizon carts?
• Where was the original Blues Bar?
• Who are the guys in the geeky pants?
• Why are the windows above Ponte’s boarded up?
• Can we walk on the West Street medians?
• What’s going on in 157 Hudson?
• What is this P.C. Richard & Son Theater I keep hearing about?
• What’s the story behind the lights at 289 Church?
• What’s the Dream House at 275 Church?
• How come every every film and TV shoot seems to have a trailer with doors marked “Lucy” and “Desi”?
Update: Comments have been turned off due to spam. To have them turned back on, email firstname.lastname@example.org.